UNFPA, the United Nations Population Fund, is an international development agency that promotes the right of every woman, man and child to enjoy a life of health and equal opportunity. UNFPA supports countries in using population data for policies and programmes to reduce poverty and to ensure that every pregnancy is wanted, every birth is safe, every young person is free of HIV/AIDS, and every girl and woman is treated with dignity and respect.
In the country since:
At a glance:
The UNFPA newly established country office will pursue the objectives of its mandate through the establishment of strategic partnerships and cooperation with the Government, the civil sociey sector and the other UN agencies in providing technical support, knowledge gathering and dissemination and advocacy activities. Specifically, the UNFPA country office will:
- Provide technical support to policy making processes and intervention strategies aimed at integrating population and development and reproductive health issues, particularly in the framework of Macedonia’s inclusion in the EU Open Method for Coordination in the area of Social Protection and Social Inclusion and in the framework of its commitments to advance the reproductive health status of the population in the country;
- Promote and increase the awareness of different stakeholders about the issues of reproductive health and gender-based violence and support the development of national policies and interventions aimed at improving the situation in the country, particularly of its vulnerable groups and communities;
- Promote, advocate for and disseminate an up-to-date information, lessons-learned and good practices in the field of sexual and reproductive health and gender equality among policy-makers, professionals working on population and development, reproductive health and gender-equality issues and non-governmental organizations;
- Promote, support and coordinate the inclusion and application of sexual and reproductive rights, gender-equality and gender-based violence approaches in the joint programming efforts of the UN Country Team;
- Promote UNFPA’s mandate among different stakeholders and support the UN Resident Coordinator system on issues pertinent to the UNFPA mandate.
Ms. Jovanka Brajovic
tel: ++389 (0)2 3249 500, ext. 578
fax: ++389 (0)2 3249 505
Address: 8ma Udarna Brigada #2, 1000 Skopje, MK